The wind is howling and Halloween is coming up, so there’s no better time for a countdown of the spookiest moss, mold, mildew, and algae infestations your home can have.
If you haven’t visited our store locator to combat these unwanted visitors with Wet & Forget, then lock your doors and stay close to your loved ones, because some of these are downright scary!
- 5. Any growth on porous surfaces
As a rule, Wet & Forget will clean moss, mold, mildew and algae faster off of non-porous surfaces (plastic, vinyl, etc.) This means surfaces such as asphalt shingles, concrete, brick, and wood will take slightly longer to get complete results.
Don’t worry, your patience with the Wet & Forget cleaning process on porous surfaces will be well worth the wait! Porous surfaces (brick, concrete, etc.) treated with Wet & Forget remain clean longer than non-porous surfaces.
Wet & Forget is specifically formulated for, and works best on, outdoor surfaces exposed to the elements such as wind and rain. So if you want to remove growth from an outdoor surface not exposed to rain, you’ll need to provide some additional assistance in the form of simulated rainfall.
For more details on these pesky growths, let our April blog post fill you in. It’s linked below.
- 3. Moss: the thicker, the scarier!
Moss looks like a piece of cake to remove at first glance, but depending on the thickness of it, you may have quite the battle on your hands. The #1 piece of advice we can give: get a VERY good saturation of the Wet & Forget on the moss growth, especially if it’s a couple inches thick.
It’s easy to just saturate the top of the moss and not account for the fact that the moss itself soaks up product. To get the Wet & Forget to come in contact with the surface you are treating, it has to get through the moss first.
- 2. Lichen: More like DIS-lichen, am I right?
Disregard that horrendous joke. We may not know comedy, but we do know how you can rid your home of these nightmare-inducing growths.
Cleaning lichen off of outdoor surfaces with with Wet & Forget calls for a two-step application process. Apply Wet & Forget, wait 10 minutes, then apply a second coat before the first one dries.
Lichen growths are the only types of growths that require two applications.
- 1. Black Mold: Psycho, Jaws, and The Exorcist rolled into one
There’s no getting around it; if you have black mold to remove, you’re in for a fight. Luckily, Wet & Forget does that fighting for you.
All you need to bring is patience, because black mold is as spooky and scary as they come.
Our advice for removing the scariest growth of them all is as follows:
- Remember, you can apply Wet & Forget in the fall as well. This will give the product time to work during the cooler months of the year. That way your outdoor areas will be clean for the spring and summer when you want to be outside and enjoying them.
- Apply prior to times when you know you are going to get a lot of rain.
- Hosing down the area when you can also helps the process in between rainfalls.
- Finally, for decking you can agitate the area with a stiff bristled brush or broom after applying Wet & Forget to give it a jump start.
We mentioned applying Wet & Forget in the fall. Did you know Wet & Forget will work at any temperature above 32 degrees?
If you have stubborn growths around your home, now is the time to take care of them! Happy Halloween, and be safe out there!