You spend all that time and effort making your jack o’lantern look just the way you want it, only to have poor Jack turn into a mildewy mess before Halloween even gets here. Don’t let your pumpkin carving skills go to waste!
We tested 5 different methods for preserving jack o’lanterns, and one method turned out to be the clear winner. Read on to see the time-lapse video of our results, and to score a chance to win a free bottle of Wet & Forget Outdoor!
Not all Pumpkin Preservation Methods are Equal
We heard about a lot of different methods for preserving pumpkins, so we thought we’d give a few of them a shot. Here are the ones we chose to use:
- Pouring silica gel inside the jack o’lantern.
- Rubbing the exposed insides of the jack o’lantern with petroleum jelly.
- Sealing the exposed insides of the jack o’lantern with clear-coat spray paint.
- Soaking the jack o’lantern in a diluted bleach solution for several hours, and then spraying the insides with a bleach solution every few days.
- Soaking the jack o’lantern in a diluted solution of Wet & Forget Outdoor, and then Spraying it every few days with Wet & Forget Indoor Mold + Mildew Disinfectant Cleaner.
Mold and mildew growth is the cause of your jack o’lantern’s early demise, so all of these methods try to short-circuit the growth in some way.
Silica gel is meant to keep the jack o’lantern too dry for mold growth, clear-coat paint and petroleum jelly try to form a barrier and keep mold from reaching the pumpkin’s surface, and the bleach and Wet & Forget methods are designed to kill mold and mildew.
Have a happy, happy Halloween!